Sea Turtles in Hillsboro Beach
March 1 through October 31
The Town of Hillsboro Beach has one of the highest densities-per-mile for sea turtle nests along the East Coast of Florida. Nesting Season in Broward County officially begins March 1 and ends October 31. The Town is h o me t o Leatherbacks, Loggerheads, and Green sea turtles. All sea turtles lay their eggs on the beach at night, and MUST have unobstructed access to their nesting grounds. The hatchlings are guided by the brightest light source; any source of manmade light can draw them away from their path to the ocean.
The Town takes pride in assisting these magnificent creatures with sustaining future generations.
Please observe these five basic requirements from March 1 through October 31:
• There should be no source of manmade light visible from the beach at night. Sources include bulbs, fluorescent tubes, lamps, etc. from which light emanates.
• The beach MUST be cleared of obstructions every evening beginning at sunset, including outdoor furniture and debris.
• Flashlights with red filters must be used on the beach at night.
• Manmade holes must be refilled.
• Everyone, including pets, must stay away from all nests at all times.
Please refrain from leaving food out for foxes, raccoons, and other wild animals, as they tend to disrupt the nesting, resulting in lost hatchlings.
Should you discover a Sea Turtle in distress, please call 954.328.0580.