Flood Protection & Insurance

Property Protection

Be aware and know the flood risk and the flood elevation for your location. This information is available from Town Hall. There are various ways to minimize property losses from flood damage including:

  • Be advised that homeowner's and windstorm insurance do not cover flooding. The National Flood Insurance Program is administered by the federal government and policies are sold through insurance agents. Consider flood insurance even if you live in an area not susceptible to flooding.
  • Protect against high winds by installing storm shutters and a reinforced garage door.
  • Moving household items to higher locations, sandbagging, or upgrading your property.
  • Moving furniture and other household valuables to rooms or spaces in the upper story in a two-story dwelling or a location higher than the regular floor elevation in a single-story home.
  • Placing sandbags in strategic places around your property prior to flood status. When sandbags are placed correctly at proper locations they can slow up and divert floodwaters.
  • Upgrading your property can include building floodwalls, elevating a structure, etc.

The Town's Building Department can provide you with a list of contractors/consultants that possess a Certificate of Competency from the Broward County Central Board of Examiners or State of Florida. These contractors will be able to help you upgrade your property. Funding assistance may be available for repetitive loss properties from  the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to mitigate the exposure to flood damage.

Flood Insurance

FEMA reports there is a 26% chance of experiencing a flood situation during the life of a 30 year mortgage. Most homeowner's insurance policies do not cover losses due to floodwaters. To insure your property for flood damage, you need a flood insurance policy. If you do not have valid flood insurance, contact an insurance agent immediately to arrange for coverage. Do not wait! There is a  30-day waiting period for new insurance to become effective! There are two types of Flood Insurance coverage: building property (up to $250,000); and, personal property (contents up to $100,000). It is suggested both policies be purchased. Policies are also available for condominiums and for renters who can insure possessions. The Town of Hillsboro Beach participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to provide Town residents with the initial qualification to purchase flood insurance.