Don't Be an Easy Target
About every 26 seconds, a vehicle is stolen in the United States. There are certain steps you can take to help prevent being a victim of an auto theft. First, use your common sense:
- Never leave the keys in your vehicle.
- Lock your doors and keep the windows closed at all times.
- Always park in well-lit areas.
- If you valet park, make sure you leave only the valet key.
Second, utilize visible and/or audible deterrent devices, such as alarm systems, or the horn, if someone suspicious approaches your vehicle.
GPS satellite tracking systems, LoJack, and motion-disabling systems all work very well to deter or stop auto theft. VIN etching is a process that chemically engraves the vehicle identification number into all of the vehicle's windows, in the event your vehicle does get stolen.
Witnessing Potential Criminal Activity
Did you know that many criminal cases have been solved and arrests made because citizens have called the Hillsboro Beach Police Department to report suspicious persons or activity? Your phone calls do make a difference! Call 954-427-6600 or 911 if you see any of the following:
- Vehicles circling or driving slowly through the area.
- People loitering or whom you don't recognize.
- Strange vehicles backed up to a garage door in a residential area.
- Unknown persons walking behind, or seen emerging from, the rear of a home or closed business.
- Someone attempting to hide behind trees or shrubbery.
- Persons lifting up door handles or looking into vehicle windows (in parking lots, at beaches, parks, schools, malls, etc.)
If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't. Call us right away. You can meet with an officer or choose to remain anonymous.